- Get the person out of the water.
- Lay him flat on his back
- Do a head-tilt chin lift to open the airway and give two breaths. Each breath is for one second. Check whether is chest is rising. Remember to pinch his nose shut while giving him a breath through his mouth.
- Start chest compressions: 30 compressions
- Continue these cycles of 2 breaths and 30 chest compressions for two minutes
- Call EMS, and continue EMS until they arrive
- Meanwhile, if an AED is available attach it.
Abdominal thrusts are not recommended
If the patient vomits, turn him on his side and try to remove the vomit using your fingers.